For some people, even just the thought of going to the dentist can produce feelings of anxiety and nervousness. People who struggle with dental anxiety have a fear of going to the dentist that often stems from a bad experience.
Sedation dentistry, or the use of medication to sedate the patient before and/or during the appointment, can be of tremendous help for people who experience this type of fear. Our Houston dentists practice safe, anxiety-reducing sedation dentistry.
Why Use Sedation Dentistry?
- For people who struggle with anxiety, going to the dentist is more than just unpleasant – it is terrifying. Whether you had a bad experience as a child or you developed this fear as an adult, it is a very real fear that can have negative consequences for your dental health.
- Many people who have this fear avoid going to the dentist for regular checkups, which can lead to serious issues. In fact, some people will avoid making a dental appointment even if they are in a great amount of pain.
- Sedation dentistry allows patients to relax completely so they can get the dental treatment they need. We practice conscious sedation; our patients are awake during their procedures, but they are not anxious or fearful. Instead, they are able to sit back, relax, and let our dentists do their work.
- Sedation dentistry can also be used before a dental appointment to relieve patients of the nervous anticipation they feel in the hours leading up to a dental appointment.
- Sedation dentistry doesn’t just help the patient, it can also help the dentist. When a dentist does not have to worry about a patient’s anxiety, he or she is much better able to focus on the procedure. Using sedation can help you get the best results possible and can often mean less time sitting in the dentist’s chair.
What Types of Sedation Are Available?
If you struggle with dental anxiety, you should consider seeing a sedation dentist. In our Houston, TX office, we offer three types of sedation. The type that is best for you depends on what procedure you are having done, as well as your level of anxiety. Rest assured, there is a type of sedation that will help you feel much better about going to the dentist.
The types of sedation we offer include:
- Nitrous oxide (laughing gas)
- Oral conscious sedation (a pill format)
- IV sedation
Looking for a sedation dentist Houston area patients have trusted for years to help them overcome dental anxiety? Try sedation dentistry with The Houston Dentists. It’s time for you to relax and get the dental care you need.