Even though your porcelain veneers are just about as strong as your natural teeth, we still recommend avoiding specific types of foods. We continually remind our patients to treat porcelain veneers with the same effective at-home oral care as you would with your natural teeth. Doing so will prolong the amazing, long-lasting effects of your veneers!
If you experience sensitivity after your dental veneers procedure, we recommend avoiding hot/cold food and beverages. Rest assured, the sensitivity will disappear after the preliminary two weeks. Then, at that point, you can resume eating and drinking hot/cold items.
Avoid the following foods:
The following information contains types of food to stay away from to ensure healthy and effective veneers eating habits. Additionally, we include helpful tips for long-lasting veneers.
We recommend avoiding the following types of food/beverages with dental veneers:
- Avoid hard foods/snacks: pretzels, peanuts, hard candy apples, pistachio nuts, hard candy, chicken/rib bones, etc (If you must eat hard food, we recommend chewing with your back teeth)
- Avoid frequent, heavy alcohol consumption (alcohol dissolves the bonding material used to fasten the veneers to your tooth)
- Avoid chewing tobacco and smoking
We also recommend to avoid:
- Brushing your teeth with a hard or medium toothbrush
- Brushing your teeth hard with an abrasive paste
- Biting your fingernails
- Biting toothpicks or other hard items that can displace your veneers
- Grinding or clenching teeth (our dentists might suggest a night mouth guard to prevent veneers damage)
- Opening items using your teeth
- Using mouthwashes with ingredients containing alcohol
As always, we urge patients to practice effective at-home oral care, regardless of having dental veneers. Even with dental veneers, ensuring that plaque and bacteria are eliminated from your mouth and between your teeth is crucial for a healthy mouth and gums.
Effective at-home oral care includes: flossing once a day, brushing your teeth 2-3 times a day, limiting sugar consumption, and staying away from dark colored beverages. And don’t forget to schedule your regular 6-month checkup appointments!
The previous tips and veneers eating recommendations will help you to enjoy the long-lasting effects of porcelain veneers. If you have any questions, contact us for your complimentary consultation at 713-701-1783. Our cosmetic dentists look forward to speaking with you!