Periodontology is the area of dentistry that relates to the areas surrounding the teeth; namely, the gums, bones, and periodontal ligament. When patients have gum disease, need dental implants, or experience some other problem in the area, it is best to see a skilled periodontist.
While a general dentist could treat these areas, it is a far better idea to visit a periodontist. Periodontists receive advanced training in gum disease, dental implants, and other treatments. Visiting a periodontist will ensure you receive the best care possible.
Traits of a Good Periodontist
When searching through Houston periodontists, it can be difficult to know what to look for. There are a few characteristics of a good periodontist you should be on the lookout for.
- First of all, you should be sure you are seeing a periodontist rather than just your general dentist if you need to treat gum disease, or you are in need of dental implants. A periodontist has training a general dentist likely does not have. Having healthy gums is one of the most important ways to prevent deadly health conditions, so visiting a specialist is the wise choice.
- If you are considering dental implants, it is absolutely crucial to find a good periodontist who has extensive experience with performing the procedure. Dental implants are invasive and must be implanted properly to maintain oral health. This is not a procedure to trust to just anyone.
- Gum disease can lead to a plethora of health problems, including tooth loss, heart disease, and diabetes. When selecting a periodontist, be sure yours is one that takes gum disease seriously and can provide you with information on how to keep your gums as healthy as possible.
- In addition to making sure your periodontist is skilled and experienced, you should also make sure he or she is someone you feel comfortable with. Your periodontist should be able to answer any questions you may have, and help you make good decisions for your oral health.
Visit One of Houston’s Top-tier Periodontists
Our cosmetic dentists, Dr. Frazar and Dr. Hedge, work with one of the top-tier periodontists in the Houston area, Dr. Raouf Hanna.
- Dr. Hanna has undergone advanced training in implants and periodontics, and has published research in those areas. In addition, he is certified to practice oral conscious sedation and IV sedation dentistry, meaning he can help his patients manage any pain or anxiety they may be feeling so they can get the dental care they need.
- Dr. Hanna teaches dentists around the world and is an assistant professor at the University of Texas Dental Branch. Patients can trust that Dr. Raouf is top-notch in his field, and he can provide superior care.
There are many Houston periodontists to choose from, but few offer the level of expertise of Dr. Hanna at The Houston Dentists. We encourage you to come in for a consultation and learn more about our periodontist and cosmetic dentists.