You’ve heard that veneers can give you the flawless smile you’ve always wanted. But the reduction of your natural teeth necessary to place conventional veneers has kept you from investing in this cosmetic procedure. Now you can have the best of both worlds through “prepless” veneers, such as Lumineers, which don’t require shaving the teeth.
Benefits of Lumineers
Lumineers are a brand of prepless veneers made of an extremely thin layer of porcelain.
- Just like other types of veneers, Lumineers can conceal stained, chipped, uneven or cracked teeth, giving you a white, straight smile.
- Because they are so thin, your teeth won’t need to be shaved down to accommodate the veneers. Traditional veneers are slightly thicker, so we typically need to reduce the size of the natural tooth so the smile doesn’t appear bulky.
- Because they require no tooth shaving, Lumineers are completely reversible, so you can decide to return to your original smile in the future.
- You can have a new smile in just two visits! During the first visit, we make a mold of your bite and choose the size, shape and color of your new teeth. During the second visit, the Lumineers are attached.
Keep In Mind
Lumineers aren’t right for everyone. Keep in mind the following when choosing among different types of veneers:
- Lumineers are extremely thin and translucent, so they might not be able to completely disguise severe discoloration.
- While porcelain is one of the strongest dental materials available, ultra-thin Lumineers are more fragile than traditional veneers. For this reason, people who grind their teeth might be better with another cosmetic option.
- Placement of any type of veneers requires training and expertise. Inexpertly placed Lumineers can cause ledges at the gumline, which in turn can cause inflammation.
You have many options when it comes to improving the appearance of your teeth, so be sure to find a cosmetic dentist who is trained and experienced with all the latest techniques and technology.
If you’re in the Houston area and looking for a veneers option that doesn’t require shaving your teeth, call our top cosmetic dentists today.