When someone is in the process of opting for porcelain veneers, the same question is asked: how long will my porcelain veneers last? How durable are porcelain veneers, and will I need to get them replaced or redone within a couple of years?
Actually, patients of Dr. Hedge and Dr. Frazar rave about the long-lasting effects of their porcelain veneers. Some of these patients have experienced porcelain veneers lasting upwards of 10-15 years. In fact, some have had their porcelain veneers for almost 20 years—quite impressive!
- To retain the strong durability of porcelain veneers, we recommend practicing effective and consistent at-home dental care, as well as regular 6-month checkup appointments at our office.
- Caring for your dental hygiene and your porcelain veneers at home includes flossing, brushing your teeth 2-3 times a day, limiting dark-colored beverages (colas, juices, etc), and highly minimizing your sugar consumption. Consistently following a healthy and effective dental care regimen will sustain the durability of your porcelain veneers.
- Furthermore, if you notice that you are frequently clenching your teeth and/or grinding your teeth at night, we might recommend a night guard. Wearing this effective and safe dental appliance will greatly minimize the wear and tear on your porcelain veneers to you can enjoy the brilliant effects for many years to come!
Long-term porcelain veneers care
Actually, here are a few more recommendations and tips for effective long-term porcelain veneers care.
- Avoid extremely hard food/snacks/candy. This includes pistachio nuts, hard candy, corn nuts, etc).
- Avoid excessive alcohol consumption. Too much alcohol will wear away the bonding cement that holds the veneer to your tooth.
- Do not open items using your teeth.
- If you grind or clench your teeth frequently, as mentioned above, please seek our dental expertise to minimize wear and tear on your porcelain veneers.
- Do not bite your fingernails, toothpicks, ice, or any other hard items, which can cause damage to your porcelain veneers.
All in all, porcelain veneers are an amazing solution with durable, long-lasting effects. If you or a family member is interested in veneers, our Houston dentists are more than happy to provide you with exceptional dental services! Call us today to schedule your complimentary consultation.