Sleep apnea is much more than snoring; it is a health condition that can be deadly. The most common form is obstructive sleep apnea, or apnea caused by an obstruction to the airway. Sleep apnea is marked by multiple cessations in breathing throughout the night, causing the brain to “wake up” each time and preventing sufferers from getting deep, adequate sleep. To treat obstructive sleep apnea, the airway must be kept open.
If you have recently been diagnosed with sleep apnea, you may be wondering whether CPAP or SOMNOmed® is the right treatment for you. Here, we compare these two options used to treat obstructive sleep apnea.
- A CPAP machine is a continuous positive airway pressure machine. It pushes pressurized air from the room through a hose and into a mask worn by the patient throughout the night. The pressurized air prevents the airway from collapsing, thus preventing sleep apnea.
- While a very effective treatment, a CPAP can cause some unpleasant side effects. Patients sometimes experience congestion, runny nose, sore throat, or irritation where the mask sits on the face. If the mask does not fit properly, the air may leak.
- Patients also sometimes report having a difficult time getting used to wearing a CPAP. Sometimes, this discomfort leads to patients seeking an alternative sleep apnea treatment.
- SOMNOmed is a dental device worn at night to keep the airway open and prevent snoring.
- The SOMNOmed is designed to move the jaw slightly to prevent obstruction of the airway. The device consists of two pieces and is custom designed for the patient’s comfort.
- Unlike a CPAP, the SOMNOmed device allows patients to speak and drink during usage.
- SOMNOmed is the latest technology in sleep apnea treatment. It is largely considered to be a more comfortable treatment option.
Why Choose SOMNOmed?
Though both a CPAP and a SOMNOmed device can be efficient treatments for sleep apnea, we more often recommend SOMNOmed for our patients.
- SOMNOmed is often a much more comfortable choice for patients because it consists of a simple device worn in the mouth at night rather than a mask and hose. Because it is more comfortable and less “clunky,” patients are more likely to use it regularly.
- Unlike a CPAP machine, which can sometimes make noise, SOMNOmed is a completely silent treatment. With SOMNOmed, Houston patients can truly get a good night’s sleep.
- For patients with health insurance diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea, we offer a low co-pay of $650 for a SOMNOmed device, making it an affordable treatment option.
SOMNOmed from The Houston Dentists
Houston sleep apnea dentists Dr. Frazar and Dr. Hedge highly recommend SOMNOmed for sleep apnea treatment. Sleep apnea is a serious condition that, left untreated, is a major threat to one’s health. The condition prevents patients from getting quality sleep at night, impacting their health in a variety of ways. Risks associated with sleep apnea include:
- Daytime sleepiness/drowsy driving
- Heart attack
- Weight gain
- Pregnancy complications
If you or a loved one are struggling with sleep apnea, please know that there are treatment options beyond a traditional CPAP. Call The Houston Dentists today to schedule your free, no-obligation sleep apnea consultation and learn more about whether a CPAP or SOMNOmed device can help you get the rest you need.