Do you have recurring headaches, possibly accompanied by a clicking or popping sound when you eat or talk? If you have these and other symptoms, you might suffer from a common disorder called TMJ syndrome. But here’s some good news for Houston patients: TMJ relief is in sight.
Stress Exacerbates TMJ Pain
Many people with headaches or neck pain don’t realize that their symptoms could be related to jaw problems.
The temporomandibular joints (TMJ) are the small, triangular-shaped joints located just in front of your ears. Physical, emotional and psychological stress all can affect the TMJ, resulting in immense pain and pressure in the head and neck region.
The pain is not caused by the joints themselves, but rather by the muscles that function the lower jaw. These muscles spasm, typically because your jaw position isn’t aligned with your body posture. Whenever a muscle is inflamed, that pain radiates to nearby muscles, which is why TMJ often causes pain in the neck and shoulders.
Some of the most common symptoms of TMJ Syndrome include:
- Jaw clicking or popping when you talk or chew
- Dull, lingering headaches
- Jaw pain
- Sharp, stabbing pain in your temple, ear, neck or shoulders
- Tingling in the fingers
- Ringing ears
The pain and discomfort associated with TMJ disorder can seriously affect quality of life. Our Houston dentists are experienced in neuromuscular dentistry and jaw function, and are trained to evaluate your symptoms and relieve your pain.
- To provide TMJ relief, we first evaluate your jaw position. We use a computerized system to track your jaw movement and listen to joint sounds. We can then use that data to help us adjust your bite.
- We also may use a device that delivers small pulses of electricity to stimulate blood flow and relax the muscles in your head and neck, allowing us to determine the correct jaw alignment.
- Finally, we might design an appliance that can make your bite more comfortable.
If you are seeking relief from TMJ symptoms, please contact our top Houston dentists today for a complimentary consultation.