As with any kind of decision you make in life, you most likely weigh the pros and cons of each option available to you. Whether you are choosing which car to purchase, which investment account to open, or which health insurance plan best suits your needs.
The decision-making process is no different when it comes to deciding which cosmetic dental solution to choose, such as weighing the pros and cons of LUMINEERS®.
The Houston dentists, Dr. Hedge and Dr. Frazar, want you to be as informed as possible regarding the dental services that interest you (i.e. Invisalign®, veneers, teeth whitening, etc). If you are interested in fixing some minor flaws that appear when you smile (gaps between your teeth, discolored or stained teeth, chipped teeth, etc), the best solution for you might be LUMINEERS.
Pros and cons of LUMINEERS
Just so you can be knowledgeable about this cosmetic dental service, we present to you the pros and cons of LUMINEERS to determine if they match your dental needs.
First, the pros of LUMINEERS include:
- In some cases, LUMINEERS can be a less expensive alternative to traditional porcelain veneers.
- LUMINEERS can last anywhere between 5-10 years, with some lasting 20 years for our patients! Practicing healthy at-home dental care, not grinding or clenching your teeth, and instituting healthy lifestyle choices can all extend the duration of LUMINEERS.
- We love the fact that we are capable of reproducing the natural appearance of enamel. You can have a beautiful, white smile without producing a fake appearance.
- Appealing to almost every patient is the fact that you get near-immediate results (in approximately 72 hours).
- LUMINEERS require a minimally invasive procedure. A thin, porcelain material (called Cerinate Porcelain) is used to create the LUMINEERS solution, and they are thinner than traditional porcelain veneers.
- Since they fit on top of your tooth, adaptations to your natural teeth are typically not necessary. Thus, drilling, numbing, and anesthesia are not required. Additionally, they are considered “prepless veneers” (and painless!) due to the decreased prep-work needed to customize your LUMINEERS.
- LUMINEERS require a reversible cosmetic dental procedure. This means that a patient can decide to remove the LUMINEERS to expose the original smile, if he or she chooses to do so.
On the other hand, some disadvantages of LUMINEERS include:
- LUMINEERS are not the best solution for some patients. Dr. Hedge and Dr. Frazar will evaluate your case to determine if they are right for you.
- There are times when LUMINEERS tend to not last as long as porcelain veneers since they are made with a thinner porcelain material.
- If you grind your teeth, we will recommend wearing a night guard to prevent unwarranted damage to your LUMINEERS.
Are you ready for your dream smile?
So now that you know the pros and cons of LUMINEERS, do you think you’re ready to schedule your consultation? Our cosmetic dentists love creating gorgeous smiles on a daily basis, and they want to create your dream smile, too!