In many cases, certain tooth imperfections cannot be completely fixed by traditional procedures, such as orthodontics or teeth whitening. In those cases, our cosmetic dentists often recommend veneers.
Veneers are thin layers of composite resin or porcelain that cover tooth imperfections, such as misalignment, chipping, or staining.
Benefits of Porcelain Veneers
- Durability – Porcelain is the strongest material available to cosmetic dentists, aside from metal.
- Stain-resistant – Porcelain is a non-porous material, so it will not absorb stains as tooth enamel does.
- Life-like – The translucency of porcelain means that it absorbs and reflects light just like your natural teeth. In the hands of a master ceramist, none of your friends and family will need to know that you are wearing veneers!
- Options – In additional to traditional veneers, Sugar Land residents also have the option of prepless veneers, such as LUMINEERS®. Because they are even thinner than traditional veneers, LUMINEERS require little to no alteration of the tooth before placing. This also means that they are reversible, should you subsequently decide to go back to your natural smile.
Keep In Mind
- Even though porcelain veneers are durable, they are not indestructible. Any force that could break your natural tooth (such as chewing ice or rock candy) could also chip your porcelain veneers.
- While porcelain resists staining, it is also a thin, translucent material. So if your natural teeth darken over time, that discoloration can show through the veneers. This is even more likely with the extremely thin, prepless veneers.
Caring for Your Veneers
You will care for your veneers just as you do your natural teeth – by brushing and flossing daily, wearing your night guard if you received one, and visiting your dentist every six months for cleanings.
If you practice appropriate dental hygiene, your porcelain veneers can last 20 years or even longer! We provide high-quality veneers to the residents of Sugar Land, Katy, Houston, and the surrounding areas. If you are thinking about improving your smile with veneers, call us today!